Thursday, July 12, 2012

I wrote a song a while ago called Hokusai’s Waves, all about a desert island made of paper, (think Paper Mario, crossed with Treasure Island.)
It was quite a visual song, and as soon as I finished it I longed to have a music video to go it with, preferably an animated one.   
Regretfully though my skills as an animator are pretty much nonexistent, but I did get the idea that a slideshow of still images, (one for every couple of lines in the song,), might make an interesting video instead.
With that in mind I started doing some drawings, and soon came up with a cartoon like technique, simple enough for me to produce a few images with; that is, images that looked like they just might belong together.
However after I’d spent an age working on six or seven of these pictures, I hit a bit of brick wall. What happened was, I did a test slideshow with the images I had so far, and unfortunately it looked shite.
The video just wasn’t going to work without at least a small bit of movement. I really didn’t want to ditch the pictures I already had however, or spend ages learning how to do an animation, so what I decided to do instead, was use an idea that I’d got from those little fold out books you get when you’re a kid.
This is it:
Once the pictures I’ve been working on are all finished, I’m going to print them out, and then glue them on to pieces of card. 
Our little film camera will then have to be mounted on a rail somehow, so it can be gradually pulled backwards, along a tunnel.
Through groves in the tunnel the pieces of card can then be slowly dropped, or pushed, in front of the camera, and kept in time with the song.

If none of that made much sense to you, then here’s a video we made to test the idea out... only we had to use books to make the tunnel and cds instead of my pictures.  
I've also put up a couple of the pics.

Fair play to you if you got through all that, people are always telling me that I ramble on to much:)

All the best, 
Louis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: